The Addison's collections search engine is designed to let you find information in several different ways. Each feature of the collection pages can be accessed through the menu bar on the left side of the screen.
Collection - Search - Multiple Record Display - Single Record Display
The Search the Collection choice on the left menu will return you to the introductory page of the collection search engine.
1. Browse the Collection
Click any of the subject headings to browse the collection through groups organized by different exhibitions, artists, themes, and periods.
2. Quick Search
The QUICK SEARCH box is displayed on this search option screen. Simply enter one or more words in the box, then click the GO button. If a match is found, the results will be displayed as a list of thumbnails with short captions; if no results are found, a message is displayed to "Try again."
TIP: Enter the beginning of a search word to retrieve more results, e.g. "Lib" instead of "Library".
3. Custom Search
This search enables you to search on a variety of different fields of information directly related to the records.
Simply input your search criteria and click the Find button to see your results.
4. Advanced Search
This search enables you to search on five fields of information directly related to the records.
The first popup on the page contains a list of searchable fields. After selecting the field you want to search in the first drop-down, a set of search values will be displayed in a second drop-down list. Select the search value from this popup.
If a field contains too many values to include in the picklist, the list will be broken down by starting letters/numbers such as "A", "B", etc. When you select a letter, a new window will open with the values that begin with that letter. Select a value to close that window and complete your search criteria.
Click Add Line to add a second line to the search. Boolean operators "and", "or", and "except" may be used. All objects that meet your search criteria will be included in your search results. See also: Advanced Selection Options.
Advanced Selection Options
The Advanced Search may be used to refine any selection of object records made active through a previous search or portfolio.
- To expand the number of records in your selection, choose "Add to Selection."
- To search only within the active selection, choose "Search Only Current Selection."
- To ignore records found in previous searches, choose "New Selection."
1. Every value that is listed is linked to at least one record; if your search contains only a single line, you are guaranteed to find at least one record.
2. For more complex searches, you can add up to a total of 4 lines. Each line can be joined to the other with an AND, OR or EXCEPT, and each line will be executed in the order in which you list it.
3. If you use multiple lines in your search, be aware that an AND or EXCEPT search will limit your search results; you will get fewer records than if you did a single line search. On the other hand, an OR search will likely increase the number of records that you find.
Multiple Record Display
The multiple record view is used to display the contents of a Portfolio or the results of a Search.
The default display view is image & label. This view will display the first six records of the portfolio.
To view the most records at once, choose text list. The Text Only view will display up to 25 records at once. Each of the underlined column headers may be clicked to sort the selection of records by that criteria (e.g., by Artist name, Date, or Medium). If text in the list of records is underlined (or in a different color), it can be clicked to link directly to more information on that item or to a biographical record of its maker.
For any of the three display views above, you may:
If multiple records were accessed through a portfolio, the portfolio name and the number of records it includes are displayed at the top of the screen.
- Click the NEXT or PREVIOUS buttons to scroll through additional records in the selection.
- Select from the drop-down list at the top of the screen to jump to a specific position in the record set.
Single Record Display
The Description page displays the most complete information about the object.
- Click the Next and Previous buttons to navigate through the selection of records or select from the drop-down list.
- Click the Show Detail Images link to see additional images (if available).
Detail Images Page
If there are detail images associated with the object, the View detail images> option will be enabled, allowing you to view additional images linked to the record.
- If more than 8 detail images are available, you may click the Next and Previous buttons to navigate through the selection of records (depends on system settings).
- Click the detail image to get a larger view.
- Click the Title link at the top of the page to return to the Description screen.
- Click the thumbnail image to view the detail in a full image view.