Boy with a Ruffc. 1875
27 in. x 19 3/8 in. (68.58 cm x 49.21 cm)
J. Frank Currier arrived in Munich in 1871 and remained until 1898. He was the unofficial dean of the American school in Munich, serving as teacher and mentor to many of the younger artists. Boy with a Ruff exhibits the dark brown palette and intense realism for which Currier was known. Although he was the leader of the American painters in Munich, because Currier remained in Germany for most of his working years, his compatriots are today much better known.
Frank Duveneck also arrived in Munich in 1871, but traveled back to the United States for several extended periods. He was influential in exposing Americans to the Munich Style. Duveneck was also a popular teacher in America, in Munich, and later in Florence. Inhis later work in Italy, Duveneck would paint his intense portraits against a lighter ground, as in A Child of the People, painted in Florence in 1887.
William Merritt Chase attended the Munich Academy from 1872 to 1878, when he returned to this country to help found the Society of American Artists. Chase was an eclectic artist, able to create personal versions of many styles, and in The Leader demonstrates his adoption of the Munich aesthetic.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- 19th Century American Masters Milwaukee Art Institute , 2/20/1948 - 3/28/1948
- Scope in Collecting [25th Anniversary Exhibition] Addison Gallery of American Art , 10/19/1956 - 12/24/1956
- The Art of J. Frank Currier 1843-1909 and Painters of the Munich School Lyman Allyn Art Museum , 2/9/1958 - 3/9/1958
- A Change of Sky American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters , 3/4/1960 - 4/3/1960
- Art in American History Addison Gallery of American Art , 7/22/1962 - 10/28/1962
- Winterfest '66 [version of Roots and Promise of American Art] Winterfest , 2/18/1966 - 2/27/1966
- Roots and Promise of American Art Addison Gallery of American Art , 1/10/1967 - 3/13/1967
- Paintings from the Addison Gallery Collection Showcase Cinema , 3/28/1967 - 4/25/1967
- Triumph of Realism Brooklyn Museum , 10/3/1967 - 3/31/1968
- Aspects of American Art History-Group Exhibition of Paintings Loaned from Coll Fitchburg Art Museum , 10/1/1968 - 11/15/1968
- The Works Addison Gallery of American Art , 11/7/1969 - 2/22/1970
- American Portraits: Colonial to Contemporary Addison Gallery of American Art , 4/21/1992 - 5/10/1992
- Faces of the Addison: Portraits from the Collection Addison Gallery of American Art , 4/23/1994 - 7/31/1994
- Identity and Intention: Two Centuries of American Portraiture Addison Gallery of American Art , 9/4/2001 - 12/30/2001
- Regarding America: 19th Century Art from the Permanent Collection Addison Gallery of American Art , 4/23/2022 - 7/31/2022
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Exhibition is "Paintings from the Addison Gallery Collection".