The Civil War: Unfolding Dialogues
View larger image
- The Reveille on the Line of Battle. Tattoo in Camp.
- A Slave Cabin. The Old Grist Mill. "Got any pies for sale, Aunty?"
- The Newspaper Correspondent.
- Coffee Coolers.
- Officers' Winter Quarters.
- A Scene on the Roadside near Summer Camp.
- Returning from Outpost Duty.
- A Night March.
- The Rear of the Column.
- Stuck in the Mud. A Flank March Across Country during a Thunder Shower.
- The Commissary's Quarters in Winter Camp.
- Fall in for Soup—Company Mess.
- Going into Camp at Night.
- On Picket at the River Bank. An Old Saw Mill. Waiting for Something to Turn Up
- The "Reliable Contraband."
- Home, Sweet Home.
- A Distant Battle.
- A Cavalry Charge.
- A Hot Day. Beef Steak Rare. A Straggler. A Quiet Nibble on the Cavalry Skirmi
- Newspapers in Camp.
- A Watched Pot never Boils. A Hearty Supper on the Battle Field. Drummer Boys.
- Through the Wilderness.
- Coming into the Lines.
- The Supply Train.
- Gone off with the Yanks. A Land Flowing with Milk and Honey. A Scouting Party.
- The Outer Picket Line, Winter.
- A Lull in the Fight.
- Traffic between the Lines.
- Going into Action.
- An Advance of the Cavalry Skirmish LIne.
- Fording a River. Twenty Minutes Halt.
- A Wagoner's Shanty. The Deserted Picket-hut. Mud Huts.
- The Sanctuary.
- The Pontoon Bridges.
- A Thirsty Crowd at the Old Spring House. A Race for Camp
- The Leader of the Herd.
- A Rainy Day on Picket. Washing Day.
- A Christmas Dinner.
This object is a member of the following groups (click any group name to view all objects in that group):Periods and Styles: MLC Portfolio: Civil War
“The line, having advanced and driven the enemy, whose dead are
lying in front, is ‘dressing up,’ while a reinforcing column can be
seen coming over the hill in the distance. Shells from the enemy’s
batteries are bursting in the air.”
This object was included in the following exhibitions:The Civil War: Unfolding Dialogues, Addison Gallery of American Art, 10/15/2011 - 4/15/2012
Your current search criteria is: Exhibition is "The Civil War: Unfolding Dialogues"