published by E. Weyhe, New York, NY; typography by Grabhorn Press, San Francisco, CA
Mount McKinley, Alaska1948
7 3/8 in. x 9 1/4 in. (18.73 cm x 23.5 cm)
This interplay of the historic and contemporary is paralleled by Adams’s competing interests in both the spiritual and scientific. Convinced of nature’s redemptive powers, he remained committed to the ideal landscape throughout his career—but one that was less about accuracy than the emotions it inspired. Like the 19th-century pioneers who set out to tame the wilderness, Adams used technology to bend nature to his vision. Using filters and a variety of techniques that determined the expressive power, visual quality, and tonal range of the print before exposure, he made nature match his mind’s eye. Reconciling these seemingly contradictory themes and concerns was one of the hallmarks of his artistic achievement.
The Addison Gallery has an incomplete provenance record for this object. If you have any information, please contact the museum in writing at:
Addison Gallery of American Art
180 Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- American Photography from the Permanent Collection in Celebration of the 50th An Addison Gallery of American Art , 10/13/1989 - 12/18/1989
- Point of View: Landscapes from the Addison Collection Addison Gallery of American Art , 10/16/1992 - 12/20/1992
- Past, Present, and Future: The Evolution of American Values [Phillips Academy Ar Addison Gallery of American Art , 5/27/2005 - 6/12/2005
- Inside, Outside, Upstairs, Downstairs: The Addison Anew Addison Gallery of American Art , 9/7/2010 - 3/27/2011
- Manzanar: Photographs by Ansel Adams Addison Gallery of American Art , 9/1/2016 - 3/5/2017
- Contemplating the View: American Landscape Photographs Addison Gallery of American Art , 9/8/2018 - 3/3/2019
Portfolio One: Twelve Photographic Prints
Trailside Near Juneau, Alaska
Alfred Stieglitz, An American Place, New York
Saguaro Cactus Sunrise, Arizona
Rapids Below Vernal Fall, Yosemite Valley
Mormon Temple, Manti, Utah
Vine and Rock, Island of Hawaii, T.H.
Refugio Beach, California
The White Church, Hornitos, California
Roots, Foster Gardens, Honolulu, T.H.
Oak Tree, Snow Storm, Yosemite
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Themes: MLC Portfolio: Visualizing Poetry".